Understanding Study Abroad in Japan

Benefits of studying in Japan

  • Acquiring high Japanese proficiency will lead to future career advancement.
  • You can get high quality education at a high level educational institution cheaper than in Europe and the United States.
  • In addition to general studies such as economics, law, and engineering, you can study various fields such as animation, games, and hospitality at a higher education institution.
  • You can experience Japan's unique historical culture and rich food culture.
  • Japan has few crimes and you can live a study abroad life in a safe environment.

Role of Japanese language school

The purpose of studying abroad in Japan varies from student to student, such as receiving higher education, finding a job, or wanting to learn Japanese culture.
Especially in order to play an active role in Japan, it is important to have knowledge of lifestyle and unique manners as well as language skills. Therefore, international students generally go on to school or get a job from a Japanese language school.
There are various conditions for going on to higher education (university, graduate school, vocational school) or getting a job in Japan. By enrolling in a Japanese language school and then proceeding to the next step, you will be able to clear the conditions for going on to university, graduate school, vocational school, and getting a job.

Japanese Language School Offerings (at TCJ)

  • You can get a student visa by enrolling in a Japanese language school.
  • The Japanese language school will support you from getting a student visa to arriving in Japan.
  • The school provides extensive life and career guidance.
  • You will have the opportunity to take the JLPT 4 times and EJU 4 times during your 2 years of study.
  • Even outside of class hours, you can deepen your understanding of Japanese society and acquire communication skills through cultural experiences and part-time jobs.

Reasons why it is difficult to go on to a higher education institution or get a job in Japan directly from your home country(outside Japan)

Graduate school / university
  1. You cannot take the EJU exam from your home country, which is a condition for applying for universities and graduate schools.
  2. There are few universities that offer direct application and examination from overseas.
  3. You have to apply for a visa yourself from scratch.
  4. Japanese ability (output/ speaking / writing) is not enough just by studying outside Japan.

Vocational school
  1. Most vocational schools require that you have been enrolled in a Japanese language school for at least 6 months.
  2. Japanese ability (output / speaking / writing) is not enough just by studying outside Japan.

Employment in Japan
  1. Since Japanese companies emphasize not only Japanese ability but also personality, they often conduct face-to-face interviews, making it difficult for people from overseas to find jobs.
  2. Japanese ability (output / speaking / writing) is not enough just by studying outside Japan.

Admission requirements for Japanese language school (TCJ)

  1. Completed a 12-year curriculum in your home country and have a high school diploma.
    Must have a high school diploma.
  2. If the education system in your home country is less than 12 years, Japanese language skills equivalent to JLPT N5 or higher or proof of learning 150 hours
  3. Have sufficient ability to pay tuition and living expenses in Japan

Status of Residence

When a foreigner wishes to stays in Japan, a status of residence suitable for the activity is required. If you come to Japan study, your status of residence will be "Student".
*In addition, you can study abroad in Japan with a short-term stay (Tourist VISA: up to 3 months) or a working holiday visa.

Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

The Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is a document required to obtain a visa, and the host organization (Japanese language school) submits the document to the Immigration Bureau and applies for it.
The date of application to the Immigration Bureau is set according to the admission period (You can only apply from one school at a time.).

The Certificate of Eligibility (COE)


This is what you need to present at immigration when entering Japan. You can apply at the embassy or consulate of your home country with a COE. If you are going to studying abroad, you will be granted a "Student visa", and the initial period of stay you can obtain is generally one year and three months (After that, the period can be renewed for up to 2 years.).


Short-term study abroad / Working Holiday

In addition to long-term study abroad, TCJ also accepts students who take Japanese language courses in the form of short-term study abroad and working holidays.

Short-term study abroad(Tourist VISA)

  • Those in the designated 68 countries and regions can stay in Japan for 90 days as a traveler without applying for a visa (The period of residence permit varies depending on the country / region.).
  • You are not allowed to work part-time.
  • After staying for a short stay, you cannot change your visa directly to "student". You will need to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility separately.
  • *The list of 68 Countries and Regions for Visa Exemptions

    *We do not support to apply for visas for short term stay other than exempt countries.

Working Holiday

  • This system has been introduced between Japan and 26 countries / regions.
  • Those under the age of 30 can apply at the embassies and consulates of each region.
  • You are allowed to work.
  • It is possible to change to a student visa after a working holiday
  • *The list of target country

    Please check with the Japanese embassy in each country for details regarding the application.

What you can achieve by studying in Japan

Going to graduate school in Japan

The graduate school is where research is conducted based on specialized knowledge. There are three types: master's program (2 years), professional degree program (master's program), and doctoral program (5 years consistent, or 2 years in the first semester + 3 years in the second semester) (medical and dentistry are different.).
It is possible to go on to a famous graduate school / laboratory, pursue a specialized research field, and then grasp an academic career or business career in Japan.

Requirements for graduate school

  • Completed 16 years of curriculum in home country (acquired bachelor's degree)
    *As a general rule, a graduation qualification from a 4-year university is required, but even if you graduate from a 3-year university, there is a chance to apply after the preliminary examination.
  • Research field expertise
    *It is possible to change the specialty of the bachelor's program, but the difficulty will increase.
  • Japanese ability (approx.) : About JLPT N1 level

  • *Other additional requirements by universities and graduate schools

    • English ability (approx.) : TOEIC 720~, TOEFL ibt 90~, IELTS 6.5~, Test in Practical English Proficiency (EIKEN) Grade1
    • EJU (approx.) : Japanese subject 260 points、Writing above 30 points

Entrance examination contents

  • Submission of research plan / Statement of purpose / Interview with the professor / Written exam, essay, Oral Exam

Estimated tuition fee for 1 year

  • National and public universities :about 800,000~950,000 JPY
  • Private university liberal arts (Literature, law, economy, etc.) : about 800,000 ~ 1,000,000 JPY
  • Private university science (Engineering, science, etc.) : about 1,000,000 ~ 1,800,000 JPY


1. You are required to have the ability to explain the research content of your specialized field in Japanese. Therefore, it is necessary to study the ability to output (communication skills such as writing and speaking) at a Japanese language school.

2. Some graduate schools allow you to enroll only in English, but Japanese proficiency is required for living in Japan. Also, if you wish to work in Japan after completing the course, you will need to have a high level of Japanese proficiency.

3. Every year, many students from TCJ go on to leading national and private graduate schools.Please check here for the results of going on to higher education.

Going to a university in Japan

In addition to specialized knowledge, you will acquire a general education and obtain a bachelor's degree in four years. (Some faculties, such as medicine and dentistry, have a six-year system) There are also junior colleges where students can earn a junior college degree in two years. After graduating from university or junior college, you can get a job in Japan or go on to graduate school.

Requirements for university

  • Completed a 12-year curriculum in your home country and have a high school diploma.
    *If the education system in your home country is less than 12 years, you must have completed the course designated by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. For details, please check the application guidelines of each university.
  • Japanese ability (approx.) : above JLPT N2 level
  • EJU (approx.) : Japanese subject above 200 (full point 400)
    *The subjects and required scores differ depending on the university and faculty.
  • Some departments require you to take General Subject, Mathematics I and II, and Science (Physics, Science, and Biology.).

  • *Other additional requirements by universities or faculty

    • English ability (approx.) : TOEIC450~, TOEFL ibt 40~, IELTS 4.0~, Test in Practical English Proficiency (EIKEN) Grade2~

Entrance examination contents

  • Written exam (Japanese, English), Statement of purpose, Essay, interview (communication skills)
    *For international students, EJU results, attendance rate at Japanese language school, high school grades, etc. will be added to the selection.

Estimated tuition fee for 1 year

  • National and public universities : About 600,000 JPY
  • Private university liberal arts (Literature, law, economy, etc.) : 800,000 ~ 1,500,000JPY
  • Private university science (Engineering, science, etc.) 1,000,000 ~ 1,800,000JPY


1. For university entrance exams, you are required to have a high level of Japanese ability to handle the written exam, as well as the ability to speak and write in essays, statement of purpose, and interviews. Consequently, it is necessary to study firmly at a Japanese language school.

2. Application requirements differ depending on the university or faculty, so it is recommended that you research the university in your area of ​​interest in advance. While attending a Japanese language school, you can participate in open campuses and tour the university campus.

3. Every year, many students from TCJ go on to leading national and private universities.Please check here for the results of going on to higher education.

Going to a vocational school in Japan

A vocational school is a school where you can acquire skills and knowledge that are directly related to your profession, and study to acquire qualifications in your specialized field. You can obtain the title of Diploma (2 years or more) or Advanced Diploma (4 years or more, then you can go on to graduate school), and you can get a work visa by getting a job in the field you learned (If you have a bachelor's degree or higher in your home country, you can get a job in a different field.).

Fields you can learn (16 categories)

CG / Game / GD Automobile Engineering Anime / Illustration Beauty / Barber
IT / Engineering Architecture Interior Photography / Video Fashion
Business Accounting Nursing / Medical Music / Sound Cooking / Confectionery
Tourism / Hotel Interpretation Translation Actor / Voice actor Education / Childcare

Requirements for vocational school

  • Completed a 12-year curriculum in your home country and have a high school diploma.
    *If the education system in your home country is less than 12 years, you need to study at a school with a college preparatory program.
  • Japanese ability (approx.) : above JLPT N2 level
  • Attendance rate 90% or more at Japanese language school

Entrance examination contents

  • Written Exam (Japanese), statement of purpose, Essay, interview (communication skills)

Estimated tuition fee for 1 year

  • 800,000 to 1,500,000 JPY (depending on the field)


1. At vocational schools, many practical lessons are included, so high communication skills such as speaking and listening are required. Consequently, it is necessary to study firmly at a Japanese language school.

2. There are some occupations which is difficult to obtain a work visa in Japan, such as beautician, music, and entertainment, but it is also possible to utilize acquired skills in your home country.

3. Many schools offer open campuses and hands-on lessons, and you can participate while attending a Japanese language school.

4. Every year, many students from TCJ go on to vocational schools that have strengths in each field.Please check here for the results of going on to higher education.

Finding a job in Japan

It is possible to find a job while attending a Japanese language school and seek employment at a Japanese company or a global company‘s branch office in Japan. Under the influence of the declining population, Japan is actively accepting human resources who wish to play an active role in Japan from all over the world, and opportunities for career advancement are expanding.
*There are many students who return to their home countries and find employment in Japanese companies as well.

Types of employment available

Business management, sales, marketing, trade, finance, human resources, general affairs, planning, interpreter translation, language teacher, designer, IT engineer, design, production technology, production control, etc.

Requirements for getting a job in Japan

  • Obtained a bachelor's degree or higher in your home country
  • Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) N2 or above
    *More than 80% of Japanese companies are required to have N2 level or higher. In addition to JLPT, you may also see the BJT Business Japanese Proficiency Test. Both can be obtained while attending a Japanese language school.

Job hunting exam content

  • Written exam, application form, interview

Career and income in Japan

  • Career paths and income vary depending on the size of the company, industry, and occupation, but in general, the starting salary for new graduates for both Japanese and foreign-affiliated companies starts at around 3-4 million.
  • Dismissal regulations are strict in Japan, and employees are well taken care of. Many Japanese companies have extensive training for new employees and OJT, which makes for a more stable work environment than in other countries.


1. Many Japanese companies value personality as well as skill and experience, so most of them seek face-to-face interviews. Consequently, it is important to have an interview after understanding the Japanese lifestyle and etiquette. Studying Japanese at a Japanese language school and becoming accustomed to life and manners in Japan will be a great advantage in your job search.

2. TCJ has a job hunting course, and offers classes to learn business Japanese for those who want to get a job in Japan, as well as specialized job hunting measures.

Japanese Language Tests

Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)

Purpose / Features

  • JLPT is a 5-level Japanese Language Proficiency Test from N5 (Beginner) to N1 (Advanced).
  • This is the most well-known exam conducted in 86 countries and regions in addition to Japan. This is a very important exam used by many Japanese educational institutions and Japanese companies to prove their Japanese proficiency.
  • It is a is a computer-scored multiple-choice test that is divided into a "reading" test (letter, vocabulary, grammar, reading comprehension) and a "listening" test.

Test Schedule

  • Twice a year, July and December

Examination Fee (in Japan)

  • 6,500 JPY (All levels)

Testing Organization

  • The Japan Foundation Japan Educational Exchanges and Services

Estimated level and study hours

Level  Study Hours  Kanji  Vocabulary  Index
N1 900~1200 hours 2,000 10,000 words Can understand Japanese used in a wide range of situations
N2 600~800 hours 1,000 6,000 words In addition to understanding Japanese used in everyday situations, you can understand Japanese used in a wider range of situations to some extent.
N3 450~600 hours 600 3,000 words Can understand Japanese used in everyday situations to some extent
N4 300~400 hours 300 1,500 words Can understand basic Japanese
N5 ~150 hours 100 1,000 words Can understand basic Japanese to some extent

Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU)

Purpose / Features

  • This is a unified test to measure whether international students have sufficient Japanese proficiency and knowledge of basic subjects to study at Japanese universities and graduate schools.
  • Depending on the university / faculty, the designated subject, the score of the application criteria, valid test sessions, etc. will differ.
  • Apart from Japanese subjects, you can choose the test language from Japanese and English. However, some universities and faculties may not accept scores taken in English, so be sure to check the application conditions of your desired university in advance.
  • By taking the three subjects and obtaining high scores, students will be qualified to receive a scholarship (study incentive) for some universities after admission.

Test Schedule

  • Twice a year, June and November

Examination Fee (in Japan)

  • 1 subject : 10,000 JPY
  • 2 or 3 subjects : 18,000 JPY

Testing Organization

  • Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO)

Subjects and Score

Subject Time Score Range Arts Sciences
Japanese as a Foreign Language 125 min Reading comprehension(40 min)
listening and listening-reading comprehension (55 min)
0-400 points
Writing (30 min)
0-50 points
Science 80 min Chose 2 subjects from Physics, Chemistry, Biology
0-200 points
Japan and the World 80 min Politics, Economy Society, Geography and History
0-200 points
Mathematics 80 min Course 1
0-200 points
Course 2
0-200 points

BJT Business Japanese Proficiency Test

Purpose / Features

  • This test can measure skills such as business communication ability and information processing ability in Japanese, which cannot be measured by JLPT.
  • Instead of "pass / fail", the evaluation is based on score of 0 to 800 points and 6 levels of J5 to J1 + according to the score.
  • It is divided into three parts: listening comprehension, listening and reading comprehension, and reading comprehension.

Test Schedule

  • Computer Based Test (CBT), can take at any time

Examination Fee (in Japan)

  • 7,000 JPY

Testing Organization

  • The Japan Kanji Aptitude Testing Foundation

Estimated level

JLPT Score Level Index
600~800 J1+ Sufficient communication ability in any business situation
530~599 J1 Appropriate communication ability in a wide range of business situations
420~529 J2 Have appropriate communication skills in limited business situations
320~419 J3 Have some communication skills in limited business situations
200~319 J4 Have a minimum communication ability in limited business situations
0~199 J5 Little business communication skills in Japanese

About Japanese Skills

About Japanese Skills

  • If you want to go on to a Japanese university, graduate school, vocational school, or want to get a job, high Japanese language ability is essential, and communication skills are especially required. It is very difficult to go on to higher education or get a job just by studying Japanese in your home country. For this reason, it is common for many students to first enroll in a Japanese language school, establish a living foundation, improve their linguistic knowledge and communication skills in Japanese, and take measures for going on to higher education and finding employment.High Japanese proficiency is the key to success after you go on to school or get a job.

About Japanese language school

  • Depending on the time of enrollment, you can study at a Japanese language school for up to two years. Some schools enroll twice a year (April and October) and some schools enroll four times a year (April, July, October and January).
    *TCJ accepts students four times a year.
  • The academic year in Japan is usually from April to March.
    *If you want to receive higher education in Japan, you will graduate from a Japanese language school in March and then go on to higher education in April, so the study period will vary depending on the time of admission to the Japanese language school (ex. : 1 year and 9 months for admission in July).
  • While studying at a Japanese language school, some students (mainly Chinese-speaking) go to a separate cram school in preparation for going on to higher education, while others work part-time at the same time.
  • Attendance rate at a Japanese language school is very important for maintaining your status of residence and going on to higher education. If the attendance rate is low, you may not be able to apply to your desired school, or you may have to return to your home country without being able to renew your visa (Many schools require an attendance rate of 90% or higher.).


  • You can enter the Student Dormitory, which is affiliated with and owned by the school. You can also search for rental properties yourself and rent guest houses, share houses, condominiums, etc.

Required cost

  • Studying in Japan requires other expenses in addition to tuition. Expense supporters (yourself or relatives) are required to submit a certificate of bank balance to prove their ability to pay. If you cannot prove the deposit amount of at least 1.2 to 1.5 million JPY that you can pay for the first year of study abroad, you may not be issued a certificate of eligibility. It is necessary to prepare funds in advance.

    • Travel expenses to Japan (airline tickets, visas) : 50,000 to 100,000 JPY
      *Depends on region and distance
    • Japanese language school tuition: 800,000-850,000 JPY for the first year, 750,000-800,000 JPY for the second year
    • Living expenses : 1 million to 1.2 million JPY per year
      *Meals, accommodation, utilities, transportation, entertainment, etc.

Part-time Job

  • With permission for engaging in part-time work, you are allowed to work part-time for up to 28 hours a week. However, if you exceed 28 hours a week even once, you will be forced to return to Japan without being able to renew your visa, so be sure to follow the time restrictions.
    *Estimated income from part-time job : 100,000 per month x 12 months = 1.2 million yen per year
    *It is possible to cover living expenses while studying abroad from a part-time job.
    *Part-time jobs such as restaurants (waiters, cooking), convenience stores, supermarkets, office work, language teachers, cleaning staff, etc. are options.

The steps to studying in Japan (Long-term study abroad)

Flow until the start of study abroad

  1. Please fill out the inquiry form and send it to us.
  2. You will be interviewed in person or online (Zoom, Skype, QQ, etc.) with a TCJ Student Affairs staff member. Tell us as specific a goal as possible about your desired career path.
  3. Complete and submit all necessary documents to TCJ and transfer the application fee to the school.
  4. TCJ will apply for a "Certificate of Eligibility" on behalf of the applicant to the Immigration Bureau.
  5. After examination by the Immigration Bureau, TCJ will receive the applicant’s Certificate of Eligibility.
  6. We will issue an invoice for tuition fees.
  7. After confirming the payment, TCJ will send the applicant a Certificate of Entrance and a Certificate of Eligibility.
  8. Applicants are required to apply for and obtain a student visa at the Japanese embassy or consulate in their home country.
  9. Before coming to Japan, you will prepare for your life and proceed with the booking of your airplane ticket.
  10. Your study abroad life has begun!

Application schedule by admission period

Admission Counseling & Interview Submission of Documents TCJ applies for the COE Result & Payment
April ~End of Sep. in the previous year Middle of Oct. in the previous year End of Nov. in the previous year End of Feb.
July ~End of Jan. Middle of Feb. Middle of Mar. Middle of May.
October ~Beginning of Apr. End of Apr. Beginning of Jun. End of Aug.
January ~Beginning of Aug. End of Aug. Middle of Sep. Middle of Nov.

Documents required to obtain status of residence

The Immigration Bureau of Japan requires different documents to be submitted for each nationality.

First, please check if your nationality is included in the list below.

*In alphabetical order

Asia | 13 countries / regions

  • Brunei, China, China [Hong Kong], China [Macau], Cyprus, Malaysia, Maldives, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, Turkey

North America | 2 countries / regions

  • Canada, United States

Europe | 47 countries / regions

  • Albania, Andra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, United Kingdom, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Kosovo, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkmenistan, Romania, Russia

Pacific Oceania | 9 countries / regions

  • Australia, Fiji, Marshall, Nauru, New Zealand, Palau, Samoa, Tonga, Tuvalu

Middle and South America | 28 countries / regions

  • Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbatos, Belize, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Commonwealth of Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guyana, Guatemala, Grenada, Jamaica, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay, Venezuela

Middle East | 10 countries / regions

  • Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, United Arab Emirates

Africa | 9 countries / regions

  • Algeria, Botswana, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Libya, Mauritius, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa

Regarding the submission of documents, TCJ staff will carefully support you according to your situation, so please explain your situation firmly in advance and follow the staff's advice.

The school will prepare an application for status of residence based on the submitted documents and apply to the Immigration Bureau of Japan. Whether you are a nationality listed or not, you may be required to submit additional documents by the Immigration Bureau, so we may ask you to prepare in advance.

If your nationality is on the list above

  • Personal Records (Designated form)
  • Copy of passport (Pages with Japanese immigration stamps, if you have entered Japan previously)
    *It doesn't matter if you don't have a passport when you apply for COE.
  • Original graduation certificate (The original diploma will be confirmed by the Immigration Bureau. We will definitely return it after the screening.)
  • Japanese proficiency certificates(ex. : JLPT N5 or learning certificate more than150 hours)★ See bellow
  • Original academic transcript
  • Letter of Paying Expenses (designated form)
  • Documents certifying the relationship with the applicant and sponsor
    • China : Notarial deed
    • Other countries : Birth Certificates, notarial deed, Affidavit, etc.
  • Deposit balance certificate
  • Documents that prove income (previous year)
  • 6 pieces of photographs (taken within 3 months)

If your nationality is not on the list above, the following documents are also required.

  • List of Sponsor’s Family Members (Designated form)
  • Demonstration materials for the funding process of the last three years (copy of account book, account activities statements, Monthly transaction reports, etc.)
  • Documents to prove the sponsor’s occupation (Certificate of employment, Business registration, certificate of full registry records, etc.)
  • Documents that prove income for the past three years (Income certificate, tax payment certificate, pay slip, etc.)
  • *For those who have been more than 5 years after the graduation, explanation letter (A4 sheet 1 page or more) is required including the reason for studying Japanese and the plan after the graduation from Japanese language school.
  • *All documents must be issued within three months of the date of application.
  • *All non-Japanese documents must have a Japanese or English translation.

★ Japanese language test officially recognized by the Immigration Bureau of Japan

  1. JLPT N5 or above
  2. BJT Business Japanese Proficiency Test above 300 points
  3. J.TEST above F Level or above 250 points on F/G Level test
  4. NAT-TEST above Level 5
  5. STBJ (Standard Test for Business Japanese) above 350 points
  6. TOP-J above Beginner A level
  7. J-cert above Beginner
  8. JLCT (Japanese Language Capability Test) JCT1 ~ JCT5
  9. PJC bridge A+ ~ C-
  10. JPT (Japanese Proficiency Test) above 315 points

In the case of learning proof only, a certificate that includes the following contents as much as possible
(1)Length of study (Start date and end date), (2)Attendance rate, (3)Course content, (4)Course name, (5)Target level of the course, (6)Name of teaching materials used

All TCJ staff and faculty members are committed to providing you with the best possible support, from preparation for study abroad to day-to-day life in Japan, so that you can build a successful career through your studies in Japan.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Student Visa Program Course


& DM