[General FAQ]

Q. How will I be notified by the school?
A. All students will be contacted via email by the school. Please be sure to provide the school with your email address. Your homeroom teacher will contact you via email and SNS to communicate with your class. Please follow your teacher's instructions on how to contact you.
Q. Do you offer a discount on tuition fees?
A. We offer free JLPT examinations and scholarships for all international students. We also have a campaign for students who live in Japan or take classes online. Please contact us for more information.
Q. I would like to refer a friend who wants to study at TCJ.
A. Yes, TCJ welcomes referrals from friends, so please contact to the receptionist or teacher. In some cases, we may be able to offer you a reward.
Q. What does your school do to prevent covid-19?
A. Everyone in the school wears a mask. Each classroom is equipped with alcohol sprays and there are splash-proof partitions in the reception area. The classrooms are also wiped down with sanitizing spray. In addition to these measures, we are also conducting a thorough hygiene management program.
Q. What courses does TCJ offer?
A. A variety of courses are available to suit learners' needs.



Short term study abroad Course

Q. Are there any age or education restrictions to apply Student Visa Program of TCJ?
A. Basically, there are no restrictions on age or educational background. Acceptance is mainly based on interviews. 
Q. What is the schedule for Student Visa Program?
A. You can find the schedule for each course on its detailed page.

Q. Are there any scholarships available?
A. Students may be eligible for the school's own scholarship system if they meet the conditions. You can also apply for external scholarships with the recommendation of the school. The conditions are "high attendance rate" and "desire to go on to higher education". For more information, please click here.
Q. What level of Japanese language skills do I need to have before coming to Japan to study?
A. The level of Japanese required varies depending on the time of admission and your goals for higher education and job hunting. TCJ also offers a beginner's class, so students with low levels of Japanese can come to TCJ with no problem.
However, if you are planning to enter a high-ranking school, we recommend that you have a certain level of Japanese before coming to Japan so that you can proceed smoothly in your studies.
Q. How many hours of classes are there per day?
A. It's 90 x 2 sessions, 3 hours total per day, with a 20 minute break.
Q. How much will I need to pay for tuition and living expenses to study abroad?
A. The total fees for the first year of study abroad are about 800,000 JPY. You should expect to spend about 100,000 JPY per month for meals, transportation, dormitory fees, and other living expenses in Japan.
Q. Is it possible to have a part-time job while studying in Japan?
A. In principle, students are allowed to work up to 28 hours per week after receiving permission to engage in activities other than those permitted under the status of residence.Please note that you will not be able to extend your period of stay in Japan if you work more than 28 hours per week. So please be careful.
Q. Do you have a student dormitory? How long does it take to get to school?
A. Yes, we have student dormitories. The average commute to school is about 20-40 minutes. In principle, all students who wish to live in the dormitory can do so. For more information, please click here.
Q. Is there a test preparation for higher education?
A. Yes, there is, of course. Not only preparation for the EJU and JLPT, but also for the past university examinations in the intermediate level and above. Students will also receive individual essay correction and interview preparation. For graduate school courses, guidance on research proposals will be provided at an early stage.
Q. What university, Graduate school, Vocational school are TCJ students going to?
A. TCJ students go on to various levels of universities, from very difficult national and private universities to art and fine arts colleges. TCJ students have also been accepted into some of the top vocational schools in their respective fields. For more details, please click here.
Q. How much do I need to study to get into a famous university or graduate school?
A. It varies from person to person, but it is considered necessary to study for 8-10 hours every day. Exams in universities have interviews and writing questions, so a good EJU or JLPT test score is not enough to pass. Graduate schools are also heavily weighted with research proposals and interviews. TCJ is strong in teaching students to improve their speaking and writing skills, so study with us at TCJ to improve your skills.
Q. Where and what should I buy textbooks for?
A. For students in study abroad class, textbooks are included in the tuition fee. They will be distributed in class, so there is no need to buy anything for use in class.
Q. Does your class have a homeroom teacher?
A. Yes, we have. The homeroom teacher manages the classes and keeps track of the students' grades. The homeroom teacher also takes the lead in providing guidance on higher education.
Q. Can I change my class?
A. Class changes will take place two weeks after the start of each term and at the end of each term. Class transfers will be made by the homeroom teacher and with the student's request in mind.
Q. Is there any support from the school when I apply for EJU or JLPT?
A. Subjects and levels to be taken will be decided after consultation with the homeroom teacher. The registration procedure will also be confirmed in class.
Q. I would like to go on to higher education in one year. Can I get support?
A. Yes, it is possible. We recommend that you study for up to two years to improve your Japanese language skills as much as possible in order to reach your desired career path. However, even for students who wish to advance to higher education in one year, we can provide students with career guidance, such as checking a letter of purpose and interview practice, if necessary.
Q. If I am able to go to college or work early and graduate ahead of schedule, can I get a refund for the rest of my tuition?
A. Yes, it is possible. If you graduate earlier than expected because you got your desired career earlier than expected, you can receive a refund of the remaining tuition fees, excluding some fees, on a semester-by-semester basis. Please see our refund policy for details.
Q. After graduating from a Japanese language school, I am not sure whether I should go to a university or a vocational school. Is it possible to change the course during the course of study?
A. Yes, it is possible. Many students are struggling to decide on a career path, and TCJ's teachers will be able to accommodate your situation and wishes. Please note that this may not be possible at certain times of the year or under certain conditions. If you have a change in your preferred course of study, please consult with your teacher immediately.
Q. My short-term visa is about to expire. Can I change my visa status to a student visa?
A. In principle, no changes can be made (however, a change from a short-term stay to a short-term stay is possible only for those who have already obtained a Certificate of Eligibility "Student"). Please contact TCJ for details.
Q. Can I change from a working holiday to a student visa?
A. Yes, you can. We recommend that you obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (College Student) to change your status of residence.
Q. I have a technical visa and work in Japan, but my Japanese is not good enough. I would like to change my visa to a student visa to study Japanese.
A. It is possible to change your visa status to a student visa. Please contact TCJ as the immigration status of each individual will vary depending on your situation.

Q. What is the schedule for Japanese Lessons for Residents in Japan?
A. You can find the schedule for each course on its detailed page.

Q. I live in a place where I can't attend TCJ, can I still join an online class?
A. Yes, it is possible. All of TCJ's classes are available online. We have students from all over the world, as well as regional areas of Japan. Without the need to visit the school, you can take classes from your home or office with the same level of quality as you would get in a classroom.
Q. Is there a difference between a commuter class and an online class?
A. No, not at all. The quality of our classes is exactly the same whether you are taking a schooling or an online. Surveys from students have shown that the quality of TCJ's online classes is exactly the same as in the classroom.
Q. What kind of students do you have?
A. There are many people who want to use Japanese for business purposes. Those who are working in embassies, consulates, and companies(Expats), or who are working in Japan on a work visa and want to improve their careers. People with a Japanese spouse visa, people with a family visa who are planning to go to higher education, people on a working holiday are also studying at TCJ.
& DM